Lucasfilm announce JJ Abrams as replacement director for Star Wars Episode 9, after Colin Trevorrow's inability to create a script that worked for Lucasfilm.
From Star Wars.com
"J.J. Abrams, who launched a new era of Star Wars with The Force Awakens in 2015, is returning to complete the sequel trilogy as writer and director of Star Wars: Episode IX. Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio. Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Abrams, Bad Robot, and Lucasfilm.
“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” said Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy."
With the huge success of The Force Awakens, appointing JJ seems like the safe choice for Lucasfilm. However, while The Force Awakens was almost universally hailed as a success by fans and critics, there was the feeling that it was a little too conservative and relied to much on nostalgia of the original films.
“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said in the release.
While this was likely a business decision by Disney and Lucasfilm to ensure Star Wars was reestablished for a new generation, we hope that JJ as given the freedom to purse a more original boundary pushing script and film.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Trevorrow left the project over the writing of the script, and with Abrams and Terrio taking over, Jack Thorne is out as well.
From the Hollywood reporter:
According to sources, Trevorrow exited the project after issues with the script persisted throughout development, with the director taking multiple stabs at different drafts. Eventually, he and Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy’s working relationship had become unmanageable.
Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, was tapped to work on the script for the movie, which is the supposed end to the Skywalker Saga
Star Wars: Episode IX is now scheduled for release on December 20, 2019.
Written: JW, Editor
Director Colin Trevorrow, has been removed from Star Wars Episode 8.
Trevorrow who directed the global success Jurassic World, has mutually agreed with Lucasfilm to depart the project. In line with the other recent director casualties in the Star Wars universe the decision is a result of "different visions"
The news comes on the heels of a new screenwriter, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child’s Jack Thorne, come onto the project to rewrite the script by Trevorrow and co-writer Derek Connolly.
Episode IX was reportedly set to begin shooting in January of next year, but it’s not clear whether this creative change will push that date further out.
Lucasfilm’s creative process has been a bit of a mess lately. Rogue One had to undergo extensive reshoots before release, and earlier this year producer Kathleen Kennedy took the extraordinary step of firing directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller of the standalone Han Solo film just two weeks before the end of principal photography. Ron Howard has since been brought on to finish the film, but the 11th-hour move raised questions as to why things were allowed to progress so far — particularly when massive creative differences apparently existed between Kennedy and Lord and Miller. That pair of filmmakers are known for making irreverent, audience-friendly hits like The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street, and their take on the material shouldn’t have necessarily come as a big surprise.
Star Wars Episode 9 is due for release in December 2019
Additional Source Material: starwars.com, theverge.com